Having a baby can be the best feeling ever and the best thing that can happen to your life. Babies are little angels that change everything and can affect a couple’s marriage. Planning on having a baby? Look at the following pros and cons to know whether you’re ready to bring another human being into life.
1. Changes your life dramatically: Having a baby is a completely new chapter into the couple’s life. As a mother, you’re no longer thinking about your husband but the little angel in your lives.
2. Strengthens family relationship: A child is a fulfillment of having a happy family. It strengthens couples’ bond and love for each other and enables them to work together towards a common goal of being responsible parents.
3. Leave a legacy: Having children is an assurance of leaving your own legacy and it plays a part in shaping the future generation. Parents work hard to ensure their children have a better future and also ensure they grow up to be responsible adults.
4. Gives your life more meaning: Having a child influences your own decision and add more meaning to your life. You’re always thinking about the child and not about yourself or your spouse. You focus all the attention on the child, become more loving, and more positive about life.
5. Every day is a learning experience: Being new parents every day is a learning experience. Every child is different and you need to learn how to be more friendly and caring to your child. You always have to learn new things as the child grows.
6. Its the fulfillment of life purpose: I don’t think a same person can ever feel fulfilled if he or she fails to reproduce it’s own kind after clocking 40. Everyone desires to have a baby and failure to do so creates a feeling of unfulfilled. More so, having kids and catering for them is a lifetime achievement and it will not be recorded for you if you don’t taste the joy of child bearing.
7. You are making a contribution for the future: Child bearing is a seed for the future, as the kids will take up from where you stopped. Through them, your name will continue and you can contribute in making the world a better place if you groom your kids in a good way.
8. You will become more virtuous: Taking care of kids requires patience and love. As a parent, it is your duty to shower Love and affection on your kids. Kids can be very annoying at times and you have to be patient with them. You do so everyday and this in turn remoulds and reshape you to becoming a more virtuous person.
9. You will have someone to take care of you when you are old: Its a common saying that parents take care of their kids with the hope that the kids will in turn take care of them when they (parents) become old. With this in mind parents always become happy when they bring forth their heir and they strive hard to train them to become responsible people in the society.
10. It improves self esteem: Having a child is a joyful thing, but as a parent, you will feel an aura of all-round development immediately your child arrives. You will feel more confidence and matured, especially if the child came at the right age. Raising up a child is a goal and having the opportunity to do so comes with increase in self esteem.
1. Require a lot of attention and time: You will spend long nights and short days while taking care of the little one. You will have to let go of some of your alone time and enjoyment activities like grabbing coffee with friends or having late-night parties.
2. Disrupt couple’s relationship: Many couples report a decline in relationship with each other once the baby arrives. Therefore, having a baby can affect your marriage if you’re not careful.
3. Require a lot of money: If you have a baby, be prepared to spend more money on buying baby stuff so as to keep your little one comfortable. The cost of baby cribs and strollers among other baby things is very high.
4. No time to socialize: Having a baby means you have to juggle between your job especially if you have a full-time job and meeting your family needs including those of your child. You don’t have time to socialize and reconnect with friends as more time is spent with the little one who needs your attention more.
5. Health complications: Once you conceive, there are women who have pregnancy complications that put their health at risk. Every pregnancy puts both the baby and the mother at risk and a little complication can make things worse for both.
6. Its tiring: Nurturing and caring for a baby is very cumbersome and energy sapping. It will consume both your time and your money. You are likely to become less productive because of the tiring nature of caring for a baby.
7. Its a bottleneck in divorce: Your baby might become an issue if your marriage is too hot and you wish to let go and move on in life by divorcing. If you pursue a divorce, your baby will be at the centre of it all as per who will be in custody of the child. More time, legal and emotional battles will be required to settle the case.
8. Your sleeping time will reduce: As a parent, a large chunk of your time will he dedicated to your baby. You have to wait for your baby to sleep before sleeping and your sleep ends immediately they wake up. Taking care of them, providing their needs, feeding them, watching them sleep are the few daily routines that you must do.
9.It may affect your professional growth: You will focus less on building your career when you start having babies. You may no longer have time to try out new ideas or break new grounds.
10. You will become less worried about yourself: The arrival of your baby will shift your attention. Your sole responsibility will be to cater for your child and nurture them to become responsible people. This will be done at the expense of your personal growth. For example, if you had plans of bagging a postgraduate degree, then child bearing may thwart it.
On the whole, having a baby is a two sided coin. It can either be or may not be the best decision for a couple or individual. It will be easier to decide to have a child or not if you are conversant with the responsibilities and rewards that come with it.