Chocolate milk is one of the most preferred contentious drinks flavored with cocoa and sugar. The drink is rich in the nutrients needed by our body. It acts as a good alternative for kids who don’t love milk due to its sugar sweetness. It increases calcium and vitamin D intake in children.
Many people worry about how the sugar content will have an impact on the nutrition value of the drink. Let’s take a look at whether it’s good or bad for your health.
1. Rich in nutrients: Chocolate milk is richer in carbs and calories compared to unsweetened milk. It contains smaller amounts of zinc, iodine, magnesium, selenium, and vitamins. The milk itself is rich in proteins with all the essential amino acids needed by the body.
2. Promotes bone health: Chocolate milk is rich in calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin D which are essential for building strong bones and teeth.
3. Recover from workout session: It helps you recover your muscles from workouts. The drink is rich in carbs and proteins which replenish sugars and fluids lost during a vigorous exercise.
4. Boost energy: Taking a glass of chocolate milk will help you feel refreshed especially after a busy day. The drink provides an instant boost to your energy and makes you feel more relaxed.
5. Reduces risk of diabetes: Regular intake of chocolate milk is associated with reduced risk of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
6. Readily available: Chocolate milk is easy to make and can be found in almost every retail shop and supermarket.
7. Lowers obesity in children: Obesity is a disease that makes the body to have excess fat. This disease increases the risk of getting heart diseases, high blood pressure, cancer, and diabetes. Chocolate milk is a dairy product that helps to improve body composition. Also, it promotes the loss of weight during the restriction of energy.
8. Not linked to mortality: Animal foods based on low carb diets such as eggs and red meat are associated with a high mortality rate. Junk foods have a high content of phosphorus that results in death. Milk and milk products like chocolate milk are not associated with mortality rate. Nobody has ever died from consuming milk.
9. Rich in potassium: Chocolate milk is a good source of potassium. This mineral helps to maintain proper blood pressure.
10. Promotes teeth health: Milk is rich in calcium that helps to build strong teeth. Chocolate milk is important for children and expectant mothers.
11. Fights tooth decay: It helps to keep natural teeth healthy. Milk-based products prevent tooth decay.
12. Prevent type 2 diabetes: Type 2 diabetes has become a chronic disease that kills thousands of people. Chocolate milk lowers the risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
1. High-fructose corn syrup: Some sugar sweeteners have a high amount of fructose which is linked to obesity and diabetes. The high amount of sugars also contributes to weight gain and a higher risk of chronic diseases.
2. Lactose tolerance: Chocolate milk contains a high amount of lactose and not many people can tolerate lactose since it causes gas, diarrhea, and cramping whenever consumed.
3. Risk of heart diseases and cancer: Intake of a high amount of sugars increases the risk of certain types of cancers and heart diseases. The high amount of saturated fats affects heart health.
4. Hormonal problems: Chocolate milk increases dependency on sugar and more people will be addicted to it due to its sweetness. This affects one’s hormones making the drink unhealthy.
5. Costly: Chocolate milk is somehow expensive. A small packet of it costs high than a normal milk packet and once you get addicted to its sweetness, you end up spending more money on it.
6. Not long-lasting: Chocolate milk has a limited shelf live, therefore, you have to check its expiry date before buying.
7. Acidic: Most people think that food should taste acidity to be categorized as an acid-forming. Mineral, vitamins and other nutrients make food to be acidic. All types of milk including dry, canned, or pasteurized are acidic. It has lactic acid. Moreover, the pH value is between 6.7 and 6.9. The human body works to keep the body balance. It also balances alkalinity, levels of pH, and acidity. Chocolate milk makes the body to be imbalanced.
8. Wrong labeling: Leaving certain information for consumers to buy products can be compared to false advertising. Additives on daily products should be labeled clearly on the package. This will allow customers to choose what they desire and leave what they do not want. Furthermore, adults and children are sensitive to some products thus it is important to display all the information. Brands do not have a problem with labeling but there is information left behind.
9. Calories: Milk is a nutritional product taken from main cows. You should always measure the number of calories you take. More calories are stored in the body as fat. Too much fat causes obesity which is not good for your health. It results in chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart diseases.
10. Allergy: Allergic reaction comes when the body detects foreign substances. Some people are allergic to daily products such as chocolate milk. Consumption of these products can result in hives, rash, scratchy throat, watery eyes, swelling, and anaphylaxis. The severe reaction causes abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Henceforth, if you are allergic to milk then do not buy chocolate milk.
11. skin problems: Most people say they have clear skin after getting rid of milk products from the diet. However, scientific research does not support this idea. Some studies have proved that skin problems are associated with milk and foods which contain milk. If you have acne, you can try to remove dairy and observe changes.
12. drink too much: Too much of something is not good for our health. Chocolate milk can only be effective when used in small quantities. Ensure you do not serve more than two cups in a day.